Early 1800s - Present
The Old Federal Road was a postal, military, economic, and political highway spanning south from the original seaboard states inland to the vast territories acquired in the Louisiana Purchase of 1803. One of the first dignitaries who submitted to the rigors of this "horse path" was Aaron Burr, returning from Fort Stoddert to stand trial in Richmond, Virginia.
By 1811 the road was widened by the U.S. Government to permit the passage of wagons, coaches, and notably horse-drawn munitions, and a series of taverns or stands were established along the Federal Road to cater to travelers.
After the Treaty of Cusseta in 1832 ceded all Creek lands east of the Mississippi River to the United States, the floodgates of migration opened wide along the Federal Road, and more accommodations became urgently required. In the summer of 1832 Sampson Lanier opened a tavern at Creek Stand [Creekstand].
Stephen Pace, II, (1802-1872), originally from North Carolina, moved to Creek Stand from Harris County, Georgia to set up a farming operation, and built Creekwood Estate. He and his second wife, Mary, had eleven children, all born in Harris County, Georgia.
He owned 900 acres and his livestock: milk cows, horses, mules, oxen, cattle, sheep, and swine. On his land, he raised wheat, rye, corn, oats, and cotton.
Stephen Pace remained a prominent landowner after the Civil War until his death in 1872. The property remained in the Pace family until 1874 and has only had 2 owners since.
Sources: National Register of Historic Places, 1984